Mayrhofen Competition Report, 29 May to 4 June 2005

Open Championships Mayrhofen Overall (pdf)
Task 1 (pdf)
Task 2 (pdf)
Task 3 (pdf)
Task 4 (pdf)
Task 5 (pdf)
Task 6 (pdf)

British Championships Overall (pdf)
Presentation Night

Pilots arriving before the competition started enjoyed 3500m bases, and pretty strong mountain flying. Big snowy alps and green spring flowered valleys... lovely.

The comp passed by rapidly with only one incident. Conditions were relatively good, with only one day missed because of the weather.

Day 1 Task 1

The forecast stated thermals from 9:30, light South Easterlies and a risk of thunderstorms later on.

The start was S01 (2000m) open at 12:00, with start at 12:30 2km from T08. Then T08, T32, T08, T07, T40 and goal at G01; a 70km race to goal.

A slow first climb did a good job of separating the field, with many not getting a good start time.

A long glide to turnpoint 2 and the race started to get faster. A few unfortunates didn't make tp2, but with the developing conditions the pilots were spread along the course.

A stunning 64 Pilots out of 94 were in goal, with many making their personal best or first goal or both!

All Brits were in first (in fact the first 11 pilots were British by jove), With Jamie Messenger seconds before Mark Watts, Ulric Jessop, Kelly Farina and Russell Ogden.

Day 2, Task 2

Blue skies, but a forecast of windy storms meant a short racey task. S01 open at 11:00, T08 (2km radius at 11:30) then T08, T14, T08, T23, T40 and G01 goal. 40.1km, Which yesterday's winner, Jamie Messenger, completed in 59 minutes.

There was a nice breeze on launch, but the thermals were weak to start with. Pilots weren't climbing to the same height as yesterday, and the valley turned fairly windy for the last glide to goal.

46 pilots made goal, while 19 pilots just dropped short.

The forecast for the next few days is not bad, the competition will be hotly contested.

Day 3, Task 3
After a very wet and stormy night, the day broke with low cloud filling the valley. At the 8:30 briefing we weren't hopeful, and the 10:30 briefing was delayed to 12:30.

The forecast said it would improve, the cavalcade went up, and a task was set to start at 15:30:

A ground start from T24, then T23, T46, T23, T35, T18, T40, T91 and goal at G01; a total of 33.3km.

The start stressed the marshalls a little as the wind picked up and all the pilots were off the hill after 13 minutes. The wind remained a big feature in the task, as some glides were really fast and some really slow.

The glide over the church in Mayrhofen was painfully slow, but bouyant. The glides into goal were slow and pretty turbulent.

Adrian Thomas was first into goal in 75 minutes, closely followed by Jamie Messenger, John Panter on his serial omega 6, and Russell Ogden.

43 were in goal, and just as many just short, is there any justice?

The task was stopped due to strong wind at 17:40 but still scored, as most pilots had completed the task.

Day 4, Task 4

Another sunny morning, with horrigraphic clouds hanging on to the valley walls. The forecast said go fly, so we did.

The take off was in cloud for a while, but the base lifted eventually.

A task was set to take off at 13:30 from S01, then start at 14:00 1km from T11, then T23, T35, T18, L03, T18, T40, T19 and goal at G01, 42.3km.

The race started and the wind was significant again. 50 pilots got away from the first turnpoint, 40 didn't. Most that got away got a fair distance on course before the task was stopped at 15:16 due to increasing valley winds.

Jamie Messenger was the star again, closely followed by Russell Ogden and Mark Watts.

Day 5, Task 5
Another sunny morning with a few clouds on the mountain tops. The busses left for launch at the usual 8:45, the field starting to look a little tired after late nights and early mornings.

The forecast suggested a better day than the previous two, with winds of 10 - 20km and with a chance of rain later.

The task was set to open at 12:30 from S01 with start 2km from T08 at 13:00. Then T08, T15, T03, T06, T23, T46 and into Goal G01: 62.7 km total distance.

A slow and tricky start split the field immediately and anyone slow had a terrible time at turnpoint 2, and anyone slower had a worse time at turnpoint 1. The cloud had come over and shut things down for long periods of time.

The first 4 pilots in goal were Adrian Thomas, Russell Ogden and Mark Watts followed closely by Neil Roberts. Frank Renesse was 15 minutes later on his serial wing, and sterling efforts by the other 4 pilots who got to goal after long, hard flights.

70 pilots didn't make more than 24km making the task score less than 800 points.

Day 6, Task 6

Totally clear blue skies in the morning and a relatively good forecast.

The task was a race to goal, opening at 12:00 from S01, and starting 1km from T09 at 12:30. Then T09, T14, T09, T28, T46 and goal at G01. 71.4km overall.

An incident 10 minutes into the open window meant delaying the task start by 40 minutes. Paul Russell broke his ankle launching and was very rapidly executed by helicopter. The delayed start caused some confusion over the radio, but it all came out in the wash.

Start was delayed by 40 minutes, and the task went ahead. Conditions were good, and improving.

Most people flew the task above 3000m, some at 3500... they said it was chilly!

Russell Ogden was first in goal, flying like a train (well, you know what I mean), and beat Mark Watts and Adrian Thomas by more than 8 minutes (thats quite a lot).

62 pilots made goal and a few just short. It was a great day, marred slightly by Paul's incident.

Day 7
The day was cancelled due to rain and storms. I don't think anyone minded at all.

report by Mark Graham